5 Tips to Prevent Emergency Plumbing Calls
Many of us have faced plumbing emergencies in one form or another. Instances in which your drains at home get clogged, taps and faucets leak, or inlet or outlet water lines become damaged unexpectedly are considered plumbing emergencies.
Every homeowner will face plumbing emergencies sooner or later. But, you can avoid these plumbing emergencies with proper preparation and knowledge. Following is a list of 5 plumbing tips that prevent you from calling your plumber in the middle of the night.
- Know Your Plumbing System but avoid DIY
It would help if you were the first to notice any issues with your plumbing system. Get to know your plumbing system, learn the signs of any plumbing issue, and know-how to shut off your main water supply.
If there is a plumbing emergency and not sure exactly about what you are doing, drop your plan of DIY or calling any plumber you find on the Internet. They can worsen your problem.
2. Stay Away from Chemical Treatments & Schedule Regular Plumbing Maintenance
The commercial chemical cleaning solutions like Drain-O may not work on all clogs and make the situation worse. Annual plumbing inspection and maintenance avoids any plumbing emergency and ensures the smooth operation of your plumbing system. You should hire a qualified plumber to identify minor problems in the beginning and prevent major repairs.
3. Water Heater
Water heaters are the leading cause of plumbing emergencies. Maintain and service them regularly to avoid any issues. Also, replace them every ten years before any disaster occurs. Consider replacing your old water heater with a newer technology tankless water heater
4. Avoid a Flooded House
Dishwashers, washing machines, and water heaters often cause floods. Prevent a flooded house by following the following tips.
- Run your dishwasher only someone is home
- Check washing machine hoses often
- Invest in leak detection to prevent structural issues for your property
- Consider installing a device like flo to monitor your water usage
- Floods cause 10X more damage than fires, so be super careful
5. Prevent Sewage Backups
Following are a few tips to avoid sewage backup,
- Don’t flush paper towels, facial tissue, newspaper, cotton swabs, and feminine hygiene products down the toilet.
- Don’t pour grease down the kitchen sink.
- Use a mesh hair trapper in your sink and shower drains.
Need professional plumbing service? Call Avant Rooter today!