Three Ways To Make Your Drinking Water Safer
Safe drinking water is essential for you and your loved ones. Below is the information you need to ensure that your drinking water is the best it can be. If you have additional questions after this quick read, call us for a free consultation. Avant Rooter – 213-432-2220
Why is Water Testing Important?
The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) states that 10 to 20 percent of the average American’s lead exposure comes from contaminated water. Even low exposure can become toxic over time, as lead accumulates in the body. You can request a copy of your water supplier’s water quality report from your town or city. You can also check using your zip code using the National Tap Water Data Base at www.ewg.org
Water quality can still vary widely between towns and cities, and you should test your water if your home has lead or other non-plastic pipes installed before 1986. Water testing is even more critical if you have a well.
Test For Lead Contamination
You can ask your water supplier to sample your tap water or purchase a city water testing kit at a home improvement store or online at www.watercheck.com. When you conduct your test, remember these tips:
- Follow the instructions carefully.
- For the most accurate test results, “first draw water,” which is the first water to flow from the faucet after sitting overnight.
- Mail the water sample to a certified lab for testing.
How to Reduce Lead Exposure From Drinking Water
If test results show high levels of lead in your tap water, you should take immediate steps to reduce your exposure. Here are some ideas:
- Install faucet filters or pour water into pitcher filters before drinking or cooking with it.
- Clean your faucet aerators regularly.
- Run tap water for 20 to 30 seconds before drinking, especially after it has sat unused for more than six hours.
- When cooking, start with cold water from the tap and boil it on the stove. Lead is likely to be higher in hot water.
- Mix baby formula in cold water.
- Replace your plumbing and fixtures to remove the source of contamination.
Testing is the only way to find out whether your drinking water is safe. If you decide to take action and replace the pipes that increase your lead exposure, let the experts at Avant Rooter lend a hand. We can install new plumbing to meet your needs without endangering your health.
Test for Bacteria and contaminants
Water, like everything else on Earth, is full of bacteria and contaminants. Some bacteria are beneficial, and some are not. Some chemicals, such as chlorine, are added to the municipality’s water to disinfect any biological contaminants present. One of them is Escherichia coli (E. coli), a bacteria that can get into the environment, and if contacted by people, can cause health problems and sickness. Those disinfectants often remain present in the water when it arrives at your home.
Without a proper water quality solution the occupants if the home then bathes, drink and cook with that same water.
What contributes to bacteria and contaminants in drinking water?
- Failing pipes
- Open holes piping
- Broken water line
- Unmaintained water equipment
- Large amounts of manure, livestock, or containments near your water
- Poor sampling location
How To Reduce Bacteria In Your Water
The two best ways to reduce bacteria in your water is to boil and/or chemicals:
- Boiling water for over 1 minute is highly effective in killing bacteria. Chemicals such as bleach or chlorine can be used in the minimal quantity recommended.
- Filtration is effective in removing chemicals when used for these purposes, and there are several highly active filters on the market.
Test for chlorine
The municipal water supplies often contain more chlorine in drinking water than is recommended for a swimming pool. A good water filtration system such as the HALO 5 Stage Whole House Water Filtration and Conditioning System can remove chlorine and chloramines to undetectable levels. This system combines high filtration and water conditioning in one maintenance-free tank. The proprietary conditioning ION is contained inside the HALO 5. The system is placed on the main before the water enters the home protecting the entire home from contaminants and the harmful effects of hard water. The HALO 5 additionally removes existing scale formation from pipes that may have been present before the HALO 5 was installed.
The HALO ION Water Conditioner physically treats the calcium and magnesium in the water, to render those healthy minerals suspended and harmless to plumbing. Depending on the starting pH of the water, it can give the homeowner alkaline water from every point of access in the home, hard water protection for the entire home using no salt, with no additional filtration.
Get a water treatment consultation! Call Avant Rooter – 213-432-2220